Start your day with intelligence. Get The OODA Daily Pulse.

Home > Briefs > Global Risk > Nigeria says joint strikes with the US have killed 175 Islamic State group fighters

Nigeria says joint strikes with the US have killed 175 Islamic State group fighters

A joint operation by the United States and Nigeria against Islamic State group fighters has killed 175 over the past few days, Nigeria’s military said Tuesday, while the head of the U.S. Africa Command said it showed the capabilities its forces could bring in Africa, home to the “epicenter of global terrorism.” The U.S. sent troops to Nigeria in February in what was deemed a mostly advisory and training role, but the joint operation signals more active involvement. The U.S. Africa Command, or AFRICOM, confirmed the joint operation, saying no U.S. or Nigerian troops were harmed. The gains against IS militants followed the killing last week of the deputy of the group’s West Africa chapter, Abu Bakr al-Mainuki, the first successful targeting of a senior militant in more than a decade of insurgency in Nigeria. Nigeria’s military on Tuesday reported the killing of another senior leader, Abd-al Wahhab, who it said was responsible for coordinating finance and attack planning and logistics.

Full report : Nigeria says joint strikes with the US have killed 175 Islamic State group fighters.